Post-doctoral Fellow in Eastern Christian Manuscript Cataloging
Saint John’s University, 2850 Abbey Plaza, Collegeville, Minnesota
Application deadline: 6th June 2016
- Job Title: Post-doctoral Fellow in Eastern Christian Manuscript Cataloging
- Opening Date/Time: Wed. 05/11/16 12:00 AM Central Time
- Closing Date/Time: Continuous
- Salary: Not Displayed
- Job Type: Non-Exempt, Support Staff, Full Time
- Location: Saint John’s University, 2850 Abbey Plaza, Collegeville, Minnesota
- Department: Hill Museum & Manuscript Library – SJU
The Hill Museum & Manuscript Library (HMML) at Saint John’s University invites applications for the two-year, full-time, benefit-eligible position of Post-doctoral Fellow in Eastern Christian Manuscript Cataloging. The Fellow will provide vital support for HMML’s efforts to catalog recently digitized Eastern Christian manuscripts. Under the guidance of the Lead Cataloger of Eastern Christian Manuscripts, the Fellow will undertake original cataloging of digital surrogates at HMML as well as revision of existing cataloging.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Original cataloging of Arabic (including Garshuni), Syriac, and possibly Coptic manuscripts from HMML’s digitization projects in the Middle East, India, and Africa.
- Correction and standardization of existing cataloging.
- Earned doctorate in history, theology, classics, Semitic languages, or cognate field.
- Knowledge of Arabic (including Garshuni) and Syriac, and associated literatures; familiarity with Arabic literature beyond the Christian tradition is desirable. Coptic is not required but would be a desirable asset.
- Direct experience of research using manuscripts, and ideally of description/cataloging of manuscripts.
- Experience with digital research in the humanities; ease with the use of common software and ability to understand and work with HMML’s digital platforms and tools.
- Good communication skills in both written and spoken English.
- Attention to detail; accuracy and thoroughness in work habits; ability to manage multiple, complex tasks.
APPLICATION PROCESS: Applications are accepted online by clicking “APPLY” above. Interested applicants are asked to submit the online application form, a letter of interest indicating skills and experience relevant to the position, a curriculum vitae, and names of two scholars whom we can contact for further information about suitability for the position.
Applications will be considered until the position is filled, but to ensure fullest consideration applicants should apply by June 6, 2016.
Women, individuals of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Saint John’s University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more details or to apply, click here.