Durham Leverhulme Doctoral Scholarships: Interdisciplinary Training Programme in Visual Culture
Application deadline: 3rd June 2016
Leverhulme Application Guidance Notes for entry October 2016
Up to 7 fully-funded three-year PhD studentships are currently available in the Durham Leverhulme Interdisciplinary Training Programme in Visual Culture (DLITP VC) for October 2016. We welcome applications from graduates in the arts and humanities, social sciences, natural sciences and life sciences who wish to pursue a PhD in visual science or visual culture. It is expected that candidates will have a strong first degree in a relevant discipline (2.1 minimum), together with an excellent Master’s qualification also in a relevant field.
Applicants for whom visual culture (generously defined) is integral to their research may apply to any of the University’s academic departments. Students will make an application to an academic department. The academic department will consider the application for the Durham Leverhulme Interdisciplinary Training Programme in Visual Culture, AND a PhD in that academic department. In the event that you are not successful for funding, you may still be offered a PhD in your main academic department (please note that participation in the Visual Culture Doctoral Training Programme is dependent on also being successful in being awarded Leverhulme funding). Applicants are encouraged to discuss their applications with potential supervisors if they wish. The full supervisory team will however only be finalised after an offer has been made. Successful applicants will participate in the scheme’s activities, such as the summer school in July each year, which they will help to design and organize.
There is a two-stage application process for the Programme:
- Two formal applications to both the University (online) and to the Programme (supplementary form to complete).
- Selection day for shortlisted candidates, which will be held in Durham in June 2016. Travel expenses (within the UK).
STAGE 1: Formal applications
The deadline for both formal applications to Durham University is 3 JUNE 2016. Please ensure that you submit both the online form and supplementary page.
Applications to join the Durham Leverhulme Interdisciplinary Training Programme in Visual Culture will be accepted through the Durham University online application portal and applicants should complete the Online Application Form. Applicants should also familiarise themselves with the general information provided for prospective postgraduate students at Durham University.
Notes for completing the University Online Application Form:
- Programme Applied For: Choose PhD in Visual Culture (Leverhulme) from the drop-down menu. The programme code for DLITP VC is R9A401.
- Department: When asked to indicate a department, please choose the department that is best placed to provide your main supervisor and that best corresponds to your previous qualifications. Students on the DLITP may be registered to study in any of Durham’s Schools and Departments, as long as the project is related to an aspect of visual culture as defined by the programme.
- Accommodation. All successful applicants will be offered (acceptance is not compulsory) accommodation and membership of one of the Programme’s home colleges – Trevelyan College and St Cuthbert’s College.
- Field of Study. Please put here ‘Visual Culture’
- Finance and Funding. All successful applicants will be offered a DLITP VC PhD studentship, which covers both tuition fees (at UK and EU level) and a living allowance. Due to the terms and conditions of the award, the studentship is only open to Home and EU students.
Notes for completing the Supplementary Application Form:
- The Durham Leverhulme Interdisciplinary Training Partnership in Visual Culture application form (click the title to download). The key element of this is a 750 word statement to demonstrate an aptitude for interdisciplinary research. This should not simply supplicate your research proposal.
- A full CV (including undergraduate and taught masters module marks and exam results).
- Please email the above to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the documents:
[Your name ] Supplementary Form
[Your name ] CV
[Your name] other documentation
STAGE 2: Selection Day
Shortlisted candidates will be notified in June 2016 and will be invited to attend a selection day.