Research Associate (9312)
Art Institute of Chicago
Application deadline: not specified in the post
The purpose of this full time, permanent position is to provide curatorial research assistance for the Department of Ancient and Byzantine Art. The successful candidate will conduct art historical and art market research about works in the permanent collection, loans, and acquisitions; compose catalogue entries, wall texts, timelines, labels, and website content; update CITI records; and assist the Chair and curators of the department in various aspects of their work.
- Conducts art historical research about artworks in the permanent collection and loans.
- Periodically checks recent literature pertinent to these art works and updates object records.
- Compose labels, didactics, and interpretive materials for the permanent galleries, special exhibitions, museum website, and multi-media programs.
- Assists with research for exhibitions, loans, acquisitions, and gifts.
- May be asked to investigate ownership, publication, and exhibition histories for artworks in the collections and for potential acquisitions.
- Participates in departmental efforts to ensure all AIC artworks are posted on the museum’s website. Reviews records for accuracy, corrects errors, and updates records in CITI.
- Answers scholarly and general correspondence. May be asked to lecture about collection, tutor fellows and interns, or tour groups through the galleries.
- Other duties assigned by the Chair.
- M.A. in the history of ancient or Byzantine art or classics, Ph.D. preferred.
- Strong writing and speaking skills.
- Proven multi-tasking and management skills.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Reading knowledge of French and German essential and facility with classical language desirable.
To apply, click here.