University Assistant (post doc) at the Department of the Study of Religions (6818)
Application deadline: 10th August 2016
The University of Vienna (15 faculties, 4 centres, about 188 fields of study, approx. 9.700 members of staff, more than 92.000 students) seeks to fill the position from 01.02.2017 of a
University Assistant (post doc)at the Department of the Study of Religions.
The Department of Religious Studies invites applications for a 6-year postdoctoral position at the level of university assistant. We seek a scholar who conducts research of high-level international standing in the area of theories of religion paired with an expertise in one or more religions, preferably Graeco-Roman Religions and Christian Origins. Holding a Ph.D. in Religious Studies by the start of the appointment, the successful candidate will be expected to contribute more generally to the Department’s teaching programme (according to the collective bargaining agreement), especially its M.A. curriculum, while sharing in the Department’s and Faculty’s intellectual life. S/he will need to demonstrate an outstanding and sustained international track record of research achievement and mobility commensurate with the level of experience that can reasonably be expected for this position. The candidate will need to bring along a broad teaching portfolio, including the proven ability to teach courses on comparative religion and theories of religion.
Your application should include the following documents:
- Motivation Letter
- Academic CV including list of publications
- Draft of habilitation project
- Three Reference letters
Duration of employment: 6 year/s
Duration of employment: 0 month/s
Extent of Employment: 40 hours/week
Job grading in accordance with collective bargaining agreement: §48 VwGr. B1 lit. b (postdoc) with relevant work experience determining the assignment to a particular salary grade.
Participation in research, teaching (according to the collective bargaining agreement), and administration – Contribution to research projects / scientific studies – Contribution to publications / scientific articles – Contribution to organization of conferences, meetings, symposiums – Project application and (external) fundraising – Examination activities – Support of students – Participation in evaluation activities and in quality assurance – Participation in administration of the Department.
1) Application Prerequisites
- Ph.D. in Religious Studies
- Professional competence in the field of Theories of Religion as well as expertise in one or more religions (preference is given to Graeco-Roman Religions and Christian Origins)
- Experience in teaching and ability to teach on comparative religion and theories of religions
- Experience in e-learning
- Excellent command of written and oral language in English
- Ability to work in teams
- Knowledge of university structures and processes
- Computer literacy
2) Application Assessment Criteria
- The selection will be based on an assessment of the applicant’s scholarly potential as seen through his/her international mobility experience, publications, lectures, and teaching.
- Excellent English language command (both written and oral)
For more information and to apply, click here.