Teaching Fellow in the History of Warfare – 51441
University of Birmingham
Application deadline: 31st May 2016
To teach and advise undergraduate, postgraduate or CPD students within own subject area and within an established teaching programme, managed supervised by member of staff with ultimate responsibility for the design, delivery and assessment of the teaching programme.
This appointment offers an opportunity to join the Department of History in the School of History and Cultures. Applicants should have a PhD in history or be near completion of a PhD, and experience of teaching in a university department or equivalent.
The successful candidate will be expected to contribute to courses at all undergraduate levels and, if appropriately qualified, to contribute to our postgraduate taught programmes. As part of their undergraduate remit the successful candidate will be expected to be able to teach on core War Studies modules as well as deliver appropriate modules on their area of expertise. The post holder will also be asked to undertake administrative duties within the Department and School, and to enhance the History Department’s reputation and effectiveness as a hub of teaching. They will be a colleague in the Department and encouraged to develop a scholarly research agenda that will inform their teaching.
- Higher degree relevant to research or teaching area or equivalent qualifications
- High level analytical capability
- Ability to design and deliver module materials successfully
- Ability to assess and organise resources effectively
- Understanding of and ability to contribute to broader management/administration processes
- Demonstrated experience of undergraduate teaching
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent IT skills in Microsoft Office
- Experience of and enthusiasm for using IVLEs in teaching
- Demonstrable skills in managing, motivating and advising students
- Teaching or research-related administrative experience in a university context
- A willingness to work to develop History’s profile both in Birmingham and more broadly
For more details or to apply, click here.