Doctoral Research Fellowship in Classics
Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Art and Ideas, University of Oslo
Application deadline: 27th April 2016
A Doctoral Research Fellowship (SKO 1017) in classics is vacant at the Department of Philosophy, Classics, History of Art and Ideas at the University of Oslo (UiO).
Preference may be given to applicants working in the following areas in which the Department has particular research strengths: Augustan poetry, Greek epic, papyrology, Greek and Latin syntax and semantics, translation studies. Applicants who have recently graduated with excellent results may also be given preference.
The successful candidate must participate in the Faculty of Humanities’ research education program (cf. regulations and supplementary provisions for the Faculty’s research education) and must also engage in the designated research activities on a 100 percent basis.
The person appointed will be enrolled in the Faculty’s organized research training. The academic study terminates in a doctoral thesis to be defended at the Faculty, leading to a PhD-degree.
The candidate will be expected to have his/her residence and work place in Oslo, and to be an active member of the classics community in Oslo. Read more about the doctoral degree.
The post is available for a period of three years, starting as soon as possible. Currently, PhD fellows who successfully submit their thesis within the three-year period are granted an additional fellowship year.
- A Master’s Degree or equivalent in a field relevant to the topic of the doctoral dissertation. The Master’s Degree has to have been achieved by the time of application.
- Personal suitability and motivation for the positions.
In assessing the applications, special emphasis will be placed on:
- The project’s scientific merit, research-related relevance and innovation
- The applicant’s estimated academic and personal ability to complete the project within the time frame
- The applicant’s ability to complete research training
- Good collaboration skills and an ability to join interdisciplinary academic communities
- salary level 50 – 56 (NOK 430 500 – 475 400, depending on qualifications)
- a professionally stimulating working environment
- attractive welfare benefits
Applicants must submit the following attachments with the electronic application, preferably in PDF format:
- Application letter describing qualifications (maximum 2 pages)
- Curriculum Vitae (complete list of education, positions, teaching experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activities, including a complete list of publications)
- Writing sample (maximum 4000 words)
- Transcript of records of your Master’s degree. Applicants with education from a foreign university are advised to attach an explanation of their university’s grading system
- Project description, including a detailed progress plan for the project (3 – 5 pages, see Template for project descriptions)
- Names and contact details of two references (name, relation to candidate, e-mail and telephone)
Please note that all documents must be in English.
Educational certificates, master theses and the like are not to be submitted with the application, but applicants may be asked to submit such information or works later.
Short-listed candidates may be invited for an interview at the University of Oslo or we will arrange for an interview on Skype.
Following the Freedom of Information Act (Offentleglova) § 25, Chapter 2, information about the applicant may be used in the public list of applicants even if the applicant opts out from the entry in the public application list.
The University of Oslo has an Acquisition of Rights Agreement for the purpose of securing rights to intellectual property created by its employees, including research results.
The University of Oslo aims to achieve a balanced gender composition in the workforce and to recruit people with ethnic minority backgrounds.
- Job type:
- Working hours:
- Working days:
- Application deadline:
- 27 April 2016
- Expected Start Date:
- Autumn 2016
- Reference number:
- Home page: