Assistant Professor of Medieval History (0,8 fte)
Faculty of Arts, Radboud Universiteit
Vacancy number: 23.04.16
Application deadline: 17th April 2016
As an assistant professor you will be part of the Department of History and participate in the teaching programme at all levels, focusing particularly on general medieval history at the Bachelor’s level and the English language programme ‘Eternal Rome’ at the Master’s level, focusing on the contrasts and continuity between ancient and medieval history.
You will engage in educational support activities and will actively contribute to the development of the History curriculum, which is taught using student-activating teaching methods. You will be expected to demonstrate an active research interest by developing new initiatives and a strong involvement in the faculty research programme. You will be asked to conduct research on the history of the Middle Ages in line with current ancient and medieval history research in Nijmegen, contributing your own expertise (preferably in the field of Mediterranean history). Your research profile should tie in with the main research theme of the Institute for Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies, which is ‘Europe and its Worlds before 1800’. Furthermore, you will be expected to contribute to the acquisition of externally funded research projects, to write project proposals, and to participate in working groups, committees and/or project groups at the department or faculty level.
The Faculty of Arts has over 600 academic and support staff dedicated to education and research in the areas of history and art, languages and cultures, linguistics, and communication and information studies. Its research is concentrated in two research institutes: the Centre for Language Studies (CLS) and the Institute for Historical, Literary and Cultural Studies (HLCS). The faculty has ten departments and is home to 2,400 students.
What we expect from you
- you have a doctoral degree in History and a affinity with and special expertise in the field of Medieval History;
- you should be able to establish links with the available expertise in the chair group of Ancient and Medieval History;
- you have university teaching experience at various levels and are able to contribute ideas on how to further improve education, where necessary;
- you should hold a University Teaching Qualification (BKO), or be willing to obtain this qualification as soon as possible;
- you have an international network of academic contacts and are an ambitious researcher as evidenced by publications and initiatives;
- you have a good command of both Dutch and English. If English is not your first language, you will be expected to have oral and written proficiency in English at C2 level (or to be able to achieve this level within one year). If Dutch is not your first language, you will be expected to have oral and written proficiency in Dutch at C1 level (or to be able to achieve this level within a reasonable period of time);
- you have experience with individual supervision of students preparing BA or MA theses;
- you should have the following competencies: conceptual ability, social awareness, presentation, result focus, and initiative.
What we have to offer
- employment: 0,8 fte;
- in addition to the salary: an 8% holiday allowance and an 8.3% end-of-year bonus;
- starting salary will depend on qualifications and relevant work experience, and will be between €3,400 and €5,288 gross per month (pay scale 11 or 12) on a full-time basis;
- one-year contract, with a view to permanency;
- this position is scheduled to start on 1 September 2016;
- you will be classified as an Assistant Professor Level 1 or 2 in the Dutch university job-ranking system (UFO).
Are you interested in our excellent employment conditions?
Would you like to know more?
Further information on: Faculty of Arts
For more information about this vacancy, please contact:
Prof. dr. M.L.M. van Berkel, Professor of Medieval History
Telephone: + 31 24 3615714
Are you interested?
You should upload your application (attn. of drs. L.J.P.M. van Mosseveld) exclusively using the button ‘Apply’ below. Your application should include (and be limited to) the following attachments:
- Letter of motivation
As part of the selection process, you may be invited to attend an assessment centre and/or give a trial lecture. The job interviews and trial lectures are scheduled for 12 May 2016.
For more information on your application: + 31 24 3612916.
To apply, click here.